Monday, June 18, 2012

Blog Post # 6: QR Codes 101


In the article, “QR Codes 101,” the author describes what QR Codes are and how they can be used in the classroom to “spice up” lesson plans. Introducing QR codes, she describes an incident where a teacher took his students to a WWII historical site in D.C. Although the teacher was explaining to his kids how important some of the monuments were, they were distracted by another tour who was using QR codes. The teacher did some research and found that “QR Codes are versatile tools to extend learning inside and outside the classroom. You can use the to give students quick access to additional content” (Crompton, 2012). They also save time by speeding up activities. Next, the author gives ideas on how to use QR codes in the classroom. For example she lists, incorporating text, URLs to websites, coordinates on a map and phone numbers. Even more helpful she lists a step-by-step process of how to use QR codes via a smartphone. 
I have used QR codes for many marketing and PR tactics, but never would have thought about using them in the classroom. After reading this article I found that QR codes are a creative and fun way to engage students in classroom activities just like we engaged consumers to our clients products at the PR firm I worked for. I think I would have appreciated an application such as QR codes while I was a high school student. Not only are they giving you additional content for class lessons, they let students be hands on with technology used in every day society.  
Using QR Codes in the classroom meets NETS standard #1, “Creativity and Innovation.” The use of QR codes is a creative way for students to engage in class content. I think this would be most beneficial in a history class because it would get kids involved in a fun way. It would allow them to identify trends both in content and in technology. It also allows student to explore complex systems and issues. 
Crompton, Helen. "QR Codes 101." Learning & Leading. ISTE, June 2012. Web. 18 June 2012. <http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-june-july-2012.aspx>.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I did not know what QR codes were until I read this article. After reading your post, I realized I knew what they were, but I have never used them before. I am starting to see those things everywhere! However, I also would have never thought they could find their way into the classroom. The idea sounds cool, but I think I would have to experience it before I could make a judgement on whether or not they are beneficial to students. I like that they can allow students to be hands on with technology, but I do not know how big of a distractor they could get. I have a smartphone, so maybe I will try using a QR code soon!

    ReplyDelete